THE OIL OF CUPRAMONTANA
The cultivation of olives in Cupramontana territory is historically documented since the fourteenth century, but it is certainly more ancient.
It was promoted throughout the area by the presence of the monks, remembering that more than thirty monastic settlements between the sixth and eighth centuries were located in the area of the current district of Cupramontana.
In the sixteenth century, in the district of San Michele, much of the land was planted with vines as well as with olive trees.
In the district of Spescia, the woods completely disappeared, a great part of the land being given over to the cultivation of olives.
Many oil mills were actively scattered since the sixteenth century.
In 1817, there were six in operation, four in town and two in the countryside.
The cultivation of olive trees and vines and the relative quality of olive oil and wine has for centuries characterized Cupramontana, and since it is not necessary to say more about its wine, it goes noted of the olive oil produced in Cupramontana that in 1877 producer Rinaldo Angelici won third place in the Regional Agricultural Competition, taking the copper medal for his “oil to dress” and the prize of 12,790 lire.
Apart from Frantoio and Leccino, the area’s native varieties are Rosciola, Mignola, Carboncella, the Raggia and Raggiola.